Lithium-Ion Battery Safety
Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are commonly used in home electronics such as phones, laptop computers, tablets, e-scooters, and other devices requiring plug-in charging. These batteries are small and powerful, but when used incorrectly, they can overheat, catch fire, or explode. Fire agencies across California continue to respond to fires caused by lithium-ion batteries.
- Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Only use the battery that is designed for the device.
- Put batteries in the device the right way.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
- Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or on a couch.
- Do not keep charging the device or device battery after it is fully charged.
- Plug directly into a wall electrical outlet for charging.
- Keep batteries at room temperature and away from heat or direct sunlight. Do not charge them at temperatures below 32°F (0°C) or above 105°F (40°C).
- Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
- Do not charge a device while sleeping.
- Do not charge a device near your primary exit.
STOP USING THE DEVICE/BATTERY IF:
- You notice an odor
- There is a change in color or shape
- Too much heat
- Leaking or odd noises
If any of the above happens and you feel in danger, call 9-1-1. If safe, move the device away from anything that can catch fire.
- Do not put lithium-ion batteries in the trash.
- Recycling is always the best option.
- Take them to a battery recycling location or contact your community for disposal instructions.
- Do not put discarded batteries in piles.