Overview & History
The Avalon Fire Department has served the citizens and visitors of Avalon and Catalina Island since the city was incorporated in 1913. The City of Avalon is approximately 3 square miles, while Catalina Island is 76 square miles (47,354 acres) and has 55 miles of coastline.
The City of Avalon is comprised of high density residential and commercial properties with tourism as the primary industry; the city is surrounded on three sides by wildland interface areas. The City of Avalon has approximately 4000 year round residents with more than a million visitors a year. The Avalon Fire Department provides fire, rescue and emergency medical services within the city supported by our partnered agencies: City of Avalon Harbor Patrol, Los Angeles County Fire/Baywatch and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue. The Avalon Fire Department receives and provides mutual aid within the city and outward to the interior sections of the island.
Responding on average to just under 1,000 calls for service each year, including a significant number of helicopter medical transports, SCUBA diving related emergencies as well as fire and rescue responses.
The Avalon Fire Department's two most historically significant fires have been the 1915 fire that destroyed most of the western side of Avalon causing the destruction of 2 million dollars in property (1915 values). The "Island Incident" wildland fire began May 10, 2007 totaling 4,700 acres with multiple structures lost taking a solid week to contain and numerous off-island resources to fully control.