Building Permits Information
Building Permits may be pulled between Monday - Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm at the Planning Department window located at 410 Avalon Canyon Road.
Contractor must provide proof of Workman's Compensation, Liability Insurance, Contractor's License and City of Avalon Business License at the time the permit is pulled.
WHEN DO I NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
According to the California Building Code in effect at this time; no structure or building shall be constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, demolished; or any intent to convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, without first making application to the Building Department to secure the required permits and approvals.
Some examples of projects that require a building permit:
1. Water heaters (new or replacement)
2. Window replacement(s)
3. Re-roofing (greater than 100 square feet)
4. Exterior wall coverings and water-proofing, (siding, stucco, etc.)
5. Stairs/ balcony/ decks/ guardrail/ handrail replacement or repair
6. Patio covers (solid roof or lattice)
7. Fences greater than 6 ft. high
8. Retaining walls greater than 4 ft. high, or walls supporting a surcharge
9. Bathroom and kitchen remodels, new lighting
10. Additions / alterations
11. Demolition, including lead and asbestos remediation documentation
12. Heating/ ventilation/ air conditioning units (new or replacement)
13. Tenant improvements (commercial/ retail)
Some examples of work exempt from permit:
1. Detached accessory structures; provided the floor area does not exceed 120 sq. ft.
2. Sidewalks and driveways on private property
3. Painting, some tiling, carpet, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
4. Window awnings that do not project more than 54 inches from an exterior wall
5. Decks not exceeding 200 sq. ft. in area; decks that are no more than 30 inches above grade at any point
6. Temporary decorative lighting (cord and plug connected)
7. Replacement of circuit breakers
8. Some minor electrical repair work
9. Portable gas appliances
10. Portable heating, ventilation or cooling units
11. The stopping of leaks in drain, water, waste or vent pipes; provided the piping is not replaced
12. Re- installation of water closets; providing repairs do not require replacement or re-arrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures
When equipment repairs and replacements must be performed in an emergency situation, a permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the Building Official.
Exemption from permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authority from any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of the building codes, or any other law or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
Please contact the Planning and Building Department during regular business hours if you have any questions regarding the above information, at 310.510.0220 ext. 116
WORK PERFORMED WITHOUT FIRST SECURING REQUIRED PERMITS MAY BE SUBJECTED TO AN INVESTIGATION FEE IN THE AMOUT OF $374.00